Thursday, July 15, 2010

Escort Cards

So we've pretty much heard from everyone on our guest list, minus two families who we're still waiting to hear back from. That means it's time to start thinking about tables arrangements and escort cards! I'm actually really excited about this part of the process for two reasons: it means we're near the end (WAHOOO) and we get to be extra creative if we want to (and I want to).

I didn't really have an idea of what we were going to do for escort cards, but this morning I got my daily email from marthastewartweddings.com and it featured ADORABLE 3 dimensional heart shaped escort cards. I thought that maybe I might do that for my cards until my mom and I started flipping through the gallery and saw some of the other DIY ideas. (By the way, all brides, whether or not you're crafty, should check out Martha Stewart's wedding website. It's full of unique ideas and I find it a little bit more user-friendly than theknot.com sometimes.

Anyway, we flipped through and my mom found the cutest one. Instead of cards, the picture has fake butterflies on pins sticking into a bed of wheat grass. Attached to each pin is a small little banner that says the name and table of the guest. My mom had the idea of adding fake daisies and hydrangeas to the bed of wheat grass so it looks like a whole slew of butterflies fluttering over a garden (see the inspiration here...). I LOVE this idea because it's so whimsical and romantic and summery. We also thought that we could add a few butterflies to the table arrangements and a couple to the cake just to carry the theme throughout since this is the first time we're thinking of incorporating butterflies into the theme. We spent a while online this morning trolling some websites for artificial butterflies that look real. My requirements: not glitter, realistic colors, romantic, romantic, romantic. That's not hard, right? It actually isn't. There are tons of websites that sell butterflies in bulk. I have a meeting with my florist on Saturday so I'm going to bring my mom and run these ideas by Sandy and see what thoughts she has. I like this because it feels like the final touch, the last thread pulling the light, romantic summer wedding together.

With 23 days to go (oh my God, really??), I need to hustle. It's been hard, actually. For the past week and a half since I got back from my residency, I've been so tired everyday. I would wake up tired, go to bed tired, go through the day tired. It was definitely the heat, and today it's much cooler and there's no humidity (yet), so I just feel better. I also have turned to coffee, which is bad for me because I'm really sensitive to caffeine and since I have Ulcerative Colitis, coffee can be really bad. But, I need it to function. Last night I had a cup at 7p.m. so I could work on my thesis (hey, I got 7 pages of a short story accomplished), but I was up all night watching Ghost Hunters until I fell asleep finally. It's ok, though. As long as the coffee perks me up and doesn't upset my stomach, I'm going to keep drinking it to get me through the next few weeks of thesis writing and wedding planning.

ALSO! The work on our house is FINALLY happening! By next week, it should be all set. The seller gave us the lock box code so we could pop in and watch the progress, which I think I will definitely do because I need to SEE it or else I won't believe it. It's allllll happening! This is awesome.

Well, I'm off to peruse artificial butterflies, bring my car to a tire place (there's a NAIL in my back tire.. I have horrible luck with tires lately), do some writing, run some errands.... and breathe of course :)

No comments:

Post a Comment